Achievements of the LNCCE since its establishment in 2001 to 2013
The Committee issued the following studies:
- General Principles on the experimentation of new drugs on human beings
- Recommendations on "Futile Treatment"
- Ethics and Islamic Law
- Ethics and religions with regard to Organ Transplantation
- Ethics legislations in the Arab world
- Treatment of chronic renal insufficiency in Lebanon
- The ethics of neonatal resuscitation decisions.
- Recommendations on the establishment of local ethics committees in hospitals
- Study of the regulations that deal with Ethics in the Arab world undertaken at the request of the UNESCO
The Committee also completed the following draft laws:
- Draft law on "Patients' Rights and Informed Consent" - Law No. 574 (ratified in 09/25/2002 and published in the Official Gazette No. 9, dated 2/12/2004)
- Draft law on "Genetic Tests" - Law No. 625 (ratified and published in the Official Gazette No. 62 in 11/25/2004)
- Draft law on "Assisted Reproductive Technology" (under consideration in the Council of Ministers)
- Draft law on "the Establishment of Ethics Committees for the follow up of medical research and clinical trials" (under study in the Council of Ministers)
- Draft law on the rights of patients with mental and psychological illnesses
- Draft law on Organ Transplantation
These studies, recommendations and draft laws have been approved by the State Council, the Ministry of Public Health, and the Lebanese Order of Physicians in Beirut. Some of the aforementioned are currently under study at the parliament.